Cost: $240, 6 weeks, starting 12 Nov, ends 17 Dec.
This painting course is open to anyone from beginners to intermediate. Each student is given individual guidance with the aim to develop their own ideas for artworks. Students will learn the fundamentals in drawing and painting with a strong focus on colour mixing and the application of paint. Class structure includes a demonstration on developing techniques followed by a class exercise in each session. Those with prior experience be encouraged to try new approaches and build on existing skills and pursue their own particular interest. The class will have the option to work with a wide range of subject matter from still life, interiors, portraits and landscapes. Suitable for all levels including enthusiastic beginners. Students with prior experience are encouraged to explore their own particular projects as well as enjoy structured exercises.
● Pencil/charcoal and some paper or a sketchbook.
● Palette – A4 or A3 size clear perspex , traditional timber palette or disposable.
● Rags (lots!), Masking tape, jumbo bulldog clips
● Brushes (variety of sizes with a few bigger ones as well as small/thin ones for details)
● For the first class bring a canvas approximately A3 size further materials and supports will be discussed in class
● Reference material: Bring a variety of pictures/photos/drawings of landscapes and interiors that inspire you – plus any sketches/sketch books you may have done.
● Paints: Students may use acrylic paints only.. Please use student quality or better paints. The following list will provide you with a basic colour set. Warm red
(Spectrum Red); Cool Red (Alizarin Crimson); Cool Blue (Manganese Blue, Cobalt Blue); Warm Blue (Ultramarine Blue); Cool Yellow (Lemon Yellow); Warm Yellow (Spectrum Yellow); Titanium White; Raw or Burnt Umber. Ashley may suggest additional colours as the term progresses.
Ashley Frost is a graduate of the National Art School East Sydney Australia receiving his BFA with a Distinction in painting. He has travelled widely conducting research for his PhD on public art in the cities of Brasilia, Beijing, New York and Canberra. He has worked as an exhibiting artist for 24 years with four solo shows in New York (2000, 2002, 2004 & 2016), a solo show in Austin,Texas in 2016 and group exhibitions in Hong Kong, Tokyo and Guangzhou.
In 2003 he won the prestigious Kings Art Prize Acquisitive $10,000 and has been finalist in a number of national art prizes. In 2018 Ashley won the Hills Art Prize and was a finalist in the Gallipoli Art Prize and the Calleen Art Award. He was a finalist in the 2017 EMSLA Still Life Prize and the 2017 NSW Parliament Plein Art Prize. Frost was a finalist in the 2017 Archibald Prize and winner of the people’s choice award for the 2017 Mosman Art Prize. He is represented by Stella Downer Fine Art.
The two images are:
1. “Harry’s oil on linen, 60x60cm, 2019
2. Thirroul Coastal, oil on board, 33x32cm, 2018